"There is a destiny that makes us brothers:
None goes his way alone:
All that we send into the lives of others
Comes back into our own."

Edwin Markham

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Make Mine a Mini

-My Problem-

I have always enjoyed most aspects of quiltmaking, from selecting a pattern and fabric to the cutting and piecing and eventual assembling of the quilt top. I don't even mind layering and basting as that puts me one step closer to a finished quilt. What I struggle with is the actual quilting of the quilt. I am not a hand quilter -- that leaves the rolling up and scrunching, the pushing and pulling and fighting that seem to go hand-in-hand with my machine quilting efforts.

-My Solution-

I love making mini quilts. For me, they provide all of the enjoyable aspects of quiltmaking without the struggle. Minis require very little fabric. They are relatively quick to complete, and they make lovely little gifts. Although most of the quilts I make are given to friends and family, I have managed to keep a few minis.

1. 'Hole in the Barn Door' was made five years ago. Each block is one and 7/8 inch square. It hangs in my sewing room and reminds me that: 
                             a. Bigger is not always better
                             b. Less is more  
  
                                            
2. 'Tulip Mini' (foundation paper pieced) is from the March/April 2006 issue of 'Love of Quilting'.  


3. 'Colorwheel' is an Ann Hermes design from the Spring 2010 issue of 'Easy Quilts'. This wall hanging has a companion table runner.



4. Last but not least is another Ann Hermes design. This little sawtooth star quilt will also hang in my sewing room.


I know that minis will never replace a full sized quilt or throw. For me they are simply a reminder that good things do come in small packages.


Sandy

9 comments:

  1. How cool that you are making mini-quilts using Ann Hermes patterns and she is one of our own! Love the little quilts, beautiful work.

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tulips and the colorwheel (that second is on my "eventually" list), though they're all wonderful. I tend to start bigger quilts and then have to force myself to finish them. I need to learn and remember your "bigger is not always better" mentality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have presented a great idea! I need to take a lesson from you. Everytime I make a large quilt, I say it will be the last, for the very reasons you mentioned. Then I start another large one! When I think about it, I've actually enjoyed more the minis I've made too. I'll try to remember that!
    Each one of your minis are special! I too love the tulips. I plan to make one of Ann's soon. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had read somewhere (can't remember if it was a book, or on the internet), that if a quilter really wants to try a new design/technique, and they may feel a bit overwhelmed by making a large quilt, that a mini, is the way to go. There are lots of designs/blocks I would like to make "eventually", and have been keeping the mini idea in mind.

    I have enjoyed your telling of your minis. It gives me something to strive for!

    -Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mini's are all so adorable. Ann's patterns and ideas are wonderful. I made the little sawtooth stars and love it. You have some wonderful little treasures there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your beautiful minis. I'm rather partial to the "Hole in the Barn Door", maybe because that block is on my "To do when there's time" list. Maybe I need to think about minis - but a 1-7/8 inch block is more daunting to me than a large quilt! -Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great little mini's you have there;) They are in a category all there own....working with such small pieces takes a different skill set than big quilts do;)
    Thanks for sharing with us;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found this posting. I am always flattered when someone makes my designs. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment on my lizard post. I'd love to see more of your little quilts, and hear about what you've been doing. How about a post soon? ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete