"There is a destiny that makes us brothers:
None goes his way alone:
All that we send into the lives of others
Comes back into our own."

Edwin Markham

Monday, June 20, 2011

Chenille Quilts

Have any of you ever made a 'Chenille Quilt', like the ones made popular by Fons & Porter (and others)? My first chenille throw was made shortly after the January/February 2005 issue of 'Love of Quilting' came out. I made it in a weekend, and had so much fun that over the next year or so I made a few more.






This was my first effort. It has four layers of flannelette, so it is somewhat heavy.







I made three more for Christmas gifts that year. My mom's is often draped over a chair. My brother uses his as a bedspread (sadly no picture), and the third belonged to a brother who passed away in November 2009. I brought that one home.














I have made a few more, as well. This one was made from Christmas fabric a few years ago.


I even made chenille baby quilts for my first two grandchildren.





Now, I know these are not real quilts, at least not the kind that have beautiful pieced blocks and lots of lovely quilting. They were fun to make, though!

Sandy

6 comments:

  1. Quilts are quilts no matter how they are put together;) I haven't worked with chenille...I fuss too much to work with that medium;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so warm and snuggly! Pretty colors too! I've never tried chenille, but I love to feel it! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilts, chenille or not! Such cute puppies. Are they yours?

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried once, but I managed to cut through the bottom layer in 3 places. I will try again though....yours inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried chenile but these look so comfy cozy! Quilts are made in lots of ways, so these qualify as quilts!

    ReplyDelete