"There is a destiny that makes us brothers:
None goes his way alone:
All that we send into the lives of others
Comes back into our own."

Edwin Markham

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Work in Progress

For some time now I have wanted to make a boxed square quilt, like the one on the cover of this book. I don't have a huge stash, or lots of scraps, so I decided to wait until the right fabric 'spoke' to me.
I thought I had found the perfect fabric this summer, when I received my Hello Betty layer cakes. Now I am not so sure.
I like the way each block looks, but I am worried about the busy-ness of the overall quilt. So, while all the blocks are made, the arrangement (and re-arrangement) of the blocks has put me at a standstill. I have even asked my husband for his opinion. (I received his usual "It looks good to me" response.)
I do have one small finish. Our son-in-law's parents have invited us to their home for a Christmas get-together this Friday. My husband will take a bottle of wine for the host, and I had considered making a wine bottle bag when I remembered my new paper piecing book. I think this is much nicer than a bottle bag. The hostess has lots of pretty votive candle holders, so I have some scented candles for her, too.
I enjoyed reading everyone's Thanksgiving posts. It sounds like you all had lots of good things to eat!


Back to my sewing room to work on my Hello Betty quilt.


Sandy


Hello Betty quilt update:
Thanks for all your thoughtful comments. It seems I had the solution to my problem all along. I purchased some cream/off-white solid fabric last week. After a quick trip through the washer and dryer, it was ready to be cut into sashing strips. The layer cakes contained three solids in addition to all the prints. Now, I wanted to use all of these fabrics, I just didn't know how. With your help, I think I have solved my problem.
Tessa came into my sewing room to tell me that she and Katie are getting hungry.

Thanks everyone!



7 comments:

  1. Though it wouldn't be the traditional square-in-a-square pattern, have you considered maybe a skinny solid sashing between blocks? I like those fabrics, though! And the little hostess gift is cute. The fussy cut dots for the presents are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about a tiny white sashing between the blocks to separate the beautiful fabrics and show them off a bit more. I love the hostess gift, it is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that a bit of white sashing might tame the busy look a bit. Lovely fabrics though. Your hostess gift is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't judge your quilt until it's all put together. I find that while working on a quilt, the individual pieces may not look right, but once put together, it looks right;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it with the white sashing!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a perfect solution! Sometimes the eye just needs a little place to rest, and the sashing provides that quite well! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is just the thing, that will be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete