"There is a destiny that makes us brothers:
None goes his way alone:
All that we send into the lives of others
Comes back into our own."

Edwin Markham

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Following "Love's" lead and my Sesquicentennial quilt project

Way back on March 14th, "Love" of I Just Love Quilts posted a photo of a great looking block she had made. She had been inspired to join a new block of the week, Moda Block Heads, after seeing Ruth of Country Log Cabin's first block. Long story short, I decided to sew along as well. I sailed through the first three blocks and then hit a roadblock -- no pun intended. Appliqué! I have done a little appliqué, enough to know that I don't do it well. So, my block four Bee Skep is just a little wonky but I was able to use some fairly old bee fabric so I am okay with it.  More appliqué for blocks six and seven! I decided to  switch the appliqué in block six for a snowball block, and made a very simple basket for block seven. I guess I will end up going my own way with these blocks!





My Sesquicentennial Quilt project started with an amazing pattern from Joanne at Canuck Quilter Designs. My fabrics are very different from the fabrics Joanne used for her quilt, and I was a little concerned that paisley and polkadots might not be right for my maple leaves, but I love them. I am about to put this quilt top together, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Joanne is the best pattern writer, by the way.








I hope to complete this quilt before July 1, the 150th  anniversary of Canada's confederation. 

Sandy

4 comments:

  1. Well, you may have followed my lead, but you are two blocks ahead of me now! I have just balked at Block 7, but I'm hoping to get it going tomorrow, when I will be three blocks behind! I'll just use my usual excuse for everything: "I've been busy with other things." (But I have nothing to show for it!) All eight of your Block Heads blocks are beautiful; I love the fabrics, and your piecing looks perfect. Your maple leaves are gorgeous, and will make a very special quilt! I'm sure Joanne would give you an A+ on your work, using her pretty pattern. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paisleys and polka dots look good to me! And I like that you're making the Moda blocks your own. Who says you have to do exactly what they say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your polka dots look amazing, my leaf blocks have red with Inukshuks on them :) its all about the journey and having fun along the way Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Blockhead blocks are all wonderful and I love all the blues you are using. The Sesquicentennial Quilt blocks are so pretty, the reds are perfect for your quilt.

    ReplyDelete