"There is a destiny that makes us brothers:
None goes his way alone:
All that we send into the lives of others
Comes back into our own."

Edwin Markham

Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Promise of a New Year

We were fortunate to be able to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas morning with our kids and grandkids (we then packed up the car with dogs and gifts and drove three hours north for a visit with family), as well as New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, too.

Our two older grandkids (both four) have been learning to skate this winter. Now, skating is one of those things that looks so easy, yet couldn't be more difficult. I watched them skate yesterday, and since I was a non-skater (my daughter borrowed my skates at least a dozen years ago, and hasn't yet returned them) I was also the photographer. I love this picture of the two little ones.


These two are not just cousins, they are best friends. They spend their time together talking and laughing. There are rarely any tears. What amazes me is not their friendship, it is their determination to learn to skate. They each fell at least half a dozen times, and they just got back up and tried again. Even a trip to the benches for a rest was not without peril, as the hard packed snow hid ice below. Eventually, the wind and cold forced us indoors for a bowl of soup and lots of great snacks at our son and daughter-in-law's home, but I couldn't stop thinking of our time at the skating rink.

I do not make resolutions, except maybe the vague "I want to be a better person" sort of thing. This year, I want to be more like my two young grandkids. They are, for the most part, unafraid.

Sandy

P.S. My mom loved her Hello Betty quilt. I am so glad I made it for her.

5 comments:

  1. I like your resolution to not be afraid! So many times we stop ourselves from trying something because we are afraid, it is so much more fun to just go for it. I'm glad your mom loved her quilt, that makes all the work worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids look like they're doing great. It's great that they're so determined. I hope you succeed in your goal to be more like them. Having them around you is a sure way to remind you of it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew your mom would love her beautiful quilt!

    What a neat contraption to learn to skate! I'd never seen or thought of anything like that! It obviously provides the needed support for the determined and cute little cousins! Note that the key word is SUPPORT! That's what family and friends are for! Also our little blogger group is here for the support and encouragement of each one of us! Isn't that wonderful? So feel free to lean on us and your family for any needed support, like the kids lean on that frame! Step out; you can do anything you wish with determination and support! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your resolution!! It seems like we get reminded more by the children around us than those that are supposed role models about what life is really about;)
    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your resolution too. I am also rather jealous of that lovely outdoor rink! I remember those, but my kids, who both love to skate, have been limited to indoor rinks.

    ReplyDelete