"There is a destiny that makes us brothers:
None goes his way alone:
All that we send into the lives of others
Comes back into our own."

Edwin Markham

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A thing of beauty

Keats said it best. A thing of beauty is a joy for ever...

We have been experiencing some truly awful weather. Snow, howling winds, very low temperatures and high wind chills. People have been stranded in their vehicles. People have been stranded in their neighbourhoods!

My amaryllis should have bloomed by Christmas, but waited until Monday for the first two blooms to unfold. It is a thing of beauty, especially when you consider what is going on outside.

I have been very unsettled (and at loose ends) which I blame on our crazy weather. I have pored over binders full of patterns, have flipped through countless quilt magazines and have even surfed the web looking for inspiration. Nothing -- at least nothing that I truly want to make. I do have a half-finished quilt I could work on, but even that is unappealing. The local meteorologist predicts a change (for the better) in the weather by this weekend. I will have to settle for catching up on my reading until then.

Historically, January is our coldest month of the year (March is the snowiest). You would think that I would have this weather thing figured out by now.

Sandy

Book note...
I read a variety of books, mostly novels. Last summer I read a beautifully written book by French novelist Muriel Barbery. "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" is one I would recommend.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a good case of cabin fever;) I've been dealing with that also, but the weather has been cooperating enough that I have been able to get outside;) Maybe you could find something real "springy" colored to put together...kind of a bit of color therapy;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe something red for Valentine's day would help bring you out of your funk. Red is energizing! The weather everywhere is not pleasant right now. I am anxious for spring but that's a ways away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes that is nasty weather! Sounds like you're ready for spring. The amaryllis is beautiful - let it inspire your quilting! In the meantime, I understand about the curling up with a good book. I'm wondering if I could get away with hibernating this winter though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. While your amaryllis truly is a thing of beauty, it would take more than that for me too, to get me out of the "under the weather" (literally) blues, if I lived in a climate like where you live!. And I thought Texas weather had been bad; shame on me! A good book and snuggling under a comfy, warm quilt sounds like a good idea to me! Frankly, I'm ready for some sun! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful amaryllis! Did you know they are in the daffodil family? My favorite flower. Why don't you try some intuition quilting or making some fabric? Check out Bumblebeans, Inc. - 15 Minutes Play. They are doing some really fun stuff over there that doesn't take any planning. It may help you out of your blues.

    Liri

    ReplyDelete